Please choose your version :
 
  1. A/C
  2. Bath/Shower
  3. Kitchen
  4. Satelite TV
  5. Swimming Pool
  6. Balcony
  7. Sea view
  8. Mountain view
  9. Pool view
 

 
 

In 1293 the Ionian Islands were claimed by the Venetians. This was followed by a long time of alteration of Venetians and Turks occupation, until 1503 when the Turks conquered the island.

Santa Maura castle, like a silent guard, dominates the entrance of the island. It was built in order to embrace the capital and keep away all kind of enemies and pirates. It was constructs around 1300 by the Frank Sovereign Ioanna Orsini when he received Lefkada as a present for his marriage.

It is one of the most impressive castles of it's era and constitutes a model for castles of the medieval years.

In 1479 the castle was occupied by the Turks. A long bridge with 360 arches was constructed then, that crossed the lagoon from the beach up to the place Kalkani. It was used to support the Turkish aqueduct pipes bring water in the castle. Unfortunately, the bridge was demolished by earthquakes.

A few remains have been saved until today in the bottom of the lagoon. Inside the castle, the Santa Maura Church still persists as it was in the 13th century. It is remarkable to mention that in the maps of that era Lefkada was reported as Santa Maura.

Nowadays careful re-establishment work are taking place in order to acquire it's initial figure.

 
 
 
Lefkada
Nidri
Photogallery
 
 
History
Pricelist
Reservations
 
  • Address: Lefkada , Nidri city
  • Telephone: 2645093122
  • Fax: 2645093007
  • Mobile phone: 6979911442
  • info@santamaura.gr

 
Copyright 2006-2017 SANTA MAURA Studios and Apartments , Lefkada Nidri- powered by 10ds.gr